Father fatally shot in east-London drive-by named by police

Police have released the name of a man who was fatally shot in a drive-by in east London, which marked the capital’s fifth murder probe in four days.

Police were called to reports a man had been shot in the head in Balfour Road, Ilford, east London, at 10.14pm on Sunday.

Met officers and the London Ambulance Service attended but despite their efforts 30-year-old Jason Diallo, of Ilford, was pronounced dead at the scene.

In a statement released by the Met, Mr Diallo’s family said: “Jason was a kind, gentle and loving man, who was an amazing husband and a devoted father to his two children who he absolutely adored. We cannot describe how sorely Jason will be missed by all of his family and everyone who knew and loved him.”

Detective chief inspector Perry Benton of the Met’s Specialist Crime (Homicide) unit, said the grieving family “deserve to know what happened and see those responsible held to account”.

He said: “Jason was attacked by the occupants of a car who shot him and left him dying in the street.

“I am appealing to anyone who was in the area and witnessed any part of this incident to get in touch. Were you driving in the vicinity of Balfour Road that night and have dashcam footage? If so, please check it and see if you’ve captured anything that could assist us.

Ilford Shooting
The scene in Balfour Road, Ilford, east London, following the fatal shooting Jason Diallo on Sunday (Kirsty O’Connor/PA)

“I would also ask local residents who have CCTV or Ring doorbells to see if they have footage that could help us.

“My message to members of the local community is to come forward and tell my officers anything that could progress this investigation.”

Police have asked anyone with information or footage about the incident to phone the incident room on 020 83451570, quoting reference 8011/01Nov.

Alternatively, information can be passed on anonymously via charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The incident comes after the Metropolitan Police announced investigations into other recent deaths in the capital.

BCU commander Stephen Clayman, from the Met’s East Area Command Unit, said a specialist team was leading the investigation into Mr Diallo’s death.

“You will continue to see local officers out on patrol to provide reassurance and I encourage anyone who has a concern to speak to them,” he said.

“We will continue to bear down on violence in Redbridge by targeting certain areas with dedicated patrolling, focusing on those we believe are involved in violent crime and by working closely with the council.”

Read Full Story Click here to comment

FROM OUR PARTNERS