Attacker with sword kills two, injures five in Quebec stabbings

Two people were killed and five wounded after being stabbed by a man dressed in medieval clothes and wielding a sword, Quebec police said on Sunday, noting the attack appeared to be driven by personal motives and not linked to any terror group.

Police arrested a 24-year-old man from Montreal early on Sunday morning, Quebec Police Chief Robert Pigeon said at a news conference.

"Dressed in medieval costume and armed with a Japanese sword, everything leads us to believe he chose his victims at random," Pigeon said, adding that preliminary information indicated the man was not affiliated with any terror group.

Pigeon said the suspect had come prepared to inflict as much damage as possible but did not elaborate. Quebec newspaper Le Soleil said the suspect had gasoline containers in his car. Pigeon declined to comment on the report.

12 PHOTOS
Quebec sword attack
See Gallery
Quebec sword attack
Dimitry Montigny embraces Jessica Peloquin, left, after laying flowers in front of Suzanne Clermont's house in Quebec City, Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020. Clermont was named as one of two people killed Saturday night by a man wielding a sword. Peloquin, who took the 911 call, was in tears. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
A K-9 unit police officer walks near the site of a stabbing in Quebec City, Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020. A man dressed in medieval clothing and armed with a Japanese sword was arrested Sunday on suspicion of killing two people and injuring five others on Halloween in Quebec City. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
Etienne Doyon, vocero de la policía de Quebec, Canadá, informa sobre un ataque a puñaladas que dejó dos personas muertas y un sospechoso detenido, el domingo 1 de noviembre de 2020. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
Police cars block the Quai Saint-Andre sweet where they arrested a man in medieval disguise early Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020 in Quebec City, Canada. Police in Quebec City early Sunday arrested a man on suspicion of killing two people and injuring five others in a stabbing rampage near the provincial legislature on Halloween. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
Police cars block the front of the National Assembly early Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020 in Quebec City, Canada. Police in Quebec City early Sunday arrested a man on suspicion of killing two people and injuring five others in a stabbing rampage near the provincial legislature on Halloween. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
Police cars block the Saint-Louis Street near the Chateau Frontenac early Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020 in Quebec City, Canada. Police in Quebec City early Sunday arrested a man on suspicion of killing two people and injuring five others in a stabbing rampage near the provincial legislature on Halloween. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
A box of flowers and candles sit in front of Suzanne Clermont's house in Quebec City, Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020. Clermont was named as one of two people killed Saturday night by a man wielding a sword. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
A bloodied yellow sheet marking the site of a victim of a stabbing is seen beside an evidence marker in Quebec City, Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020. A man dressed in medieval clothing and armed with a Japanese sword was arrested Sunday on suspicion of killing two people and injuring five others on Halloween near the historic Château Frontenac hotel in Quebec City. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press via AP)
Police officers detain a suspect near the National Assembly of Quebec, in Quebec City, early on November 1, 2020, after two people were killed and five wounded by a sword-wielding suspect dressed in medieval clothing. - The suspect, "a man in his mid-20s," was armed with a sword and dressed in "medieval clothing," Quebec City police spokesman Etienne Doyon said during a press briefing. The man, who was not identified, was arrested shortly before 1:00 am and had been "transported to hospital for evaluation," he said. (Photo by Steve JOLICOEUR / AFP) (Photo by STEVE JOLICOEUR/AFP via Getty Images)
A Police truck is parked near the National Assembly of Quebec, in Quebec City, early on November 1, 2020, after two people were killed and five wounded by a sword-wielding suspect dressed in medieval clothing. - The suspect, "a man in his mid-20s," was armed with a sword and dressed in "medieval clothing," Quebec City police spokesman Etienne Doyon said during a press briefing. The man, who was not identified, was arrested shortly before 1:00 am and had been "transported to hospital for evaluation," he said. (Photo by Jordan PROUST / AFP) (Photo by JORDAN PROUST/AFP via Getty Images)
A firefighter truck is parked in front of the National Assembly of Quebec, in Quebec City, early on November 1, 2020, after two people were killed and five wounded by a sword-wielding suspect dressed in medieval clothing. - The suspect, "a man in his mid-20s," was armed with a sword and dressed in "medieval clothing," Quebec City police spokesman Etienne Doyon said during a press briefing. The man, who was not identified, was arrested shortly before 1:00 am and had been "transported to hospital for evaluation," he said. (Photo by Jordan PROUST / AFP) (Photo by JORDAN PROUST/AFP via Getty Images)
A police vehicle blocks off a street in Old Quebec, with the Quebec City Town Hall in the background on November 1, 2020 in Quebec City, Quebec. - The sword-wielding attacker dressed in medieval costume who killed two people and injured five others in a Halloween rampage on Saturday night in Quebec was "not associated with a terrorist group," Canadian police said on November 1, 2020. The attacks occurred in multiple locations in the Old Quebec neighborhood, near the tourist hotspot Chateau Frontenac and the National Assembly, the Quebec provincial parliament.The suspect, who was arrested early Sunday after a manhunt through the streets, is due to make a preliminary court appearance by video-link later in the day. (Photo by Anne-Sophie THILL / AFP) (Photo by ANNE-SOPHIE THILL/AFP via Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

The incident began late Saturday night, on Halloween, inside the city's famed walled centre. Police told nearby residents to stay indoors and made an arrest after a three-hour manhunt.

"It is once again, and we believe, an isolated act," Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume told reporters. "We need to have a societal debate on the subject (of mental health) because it is becoming more and more difficult to manage."

In 2017, a Canadian man gunned down six members of a Quebec City mosque and was later sentenced to life in prison.

Quebec's police chief said on Sunday that the suspect had spoken of conducting an attack "in a medical context" five years ago but was not known to police and did not have a criminal record.

Read Full Story Click here to comment

FROM OUR PARTNERS