Murder accused tells jury he ‘accidentally killed’ female friend during sex

A man accused of raping and murdering his friend, whom he was “trusted” to walk home safe, has told a jury he “accidentally killed her”.

Wesley Streete told Stafford Crown Court on Tuesday how, after Keeley Bunker’s death, he put her body in a brook and covered it with branches in the early hours of September 19 2019, after a night out.

Ms Bunker, who was 4ft 11in and weighed just six and a half stone, was later discovered by her uncle, who was part of a search party looking for the missing 20-year-old, in Wigginton Park, Tamworth.

Wigginton Park death
Wesley Streete at a previous court hearing (Jacob King/PA)

Giving evidence in his defence for the first time, Streete denied deliberately killing Ms Bunker.

He also admitted lying to the victim’s family, friends and the police about what happened because he was “scared” and “embarrassed”.

Streete claimed the two were also having sex at the time Ms Bunker died.

The 20-year-old gave his account of what happened as he was taken through the allegations by his barrister, Rachel Brand QC.

Ms Brand asked: “When Keeley Bunker died, did that happen in Wigginton Park? Were you with her?”

“Yes,” he replied, to both questions.

Then Ms Brand asked: “Did you deliberately kill her, Wesley – on purpose?”

“No,” said Streete, who faced the jury wearing a white formal shirt, open at the neck, with a black suit.

After being asked: “How did she die?” Streete was seen to take a deep breath as he sat in the court’s witness box, replying: “I put my arms around her neck and accidentally killed her.”

“We were having sex,” he added.

Asked if he agreed it was he who “put her body in the brook” and “covered it with branches”, Streete replied: “Yes”.

“Why did you tell lies about what had happened?” asked Ms Brand.

Wigginton Park
Floral tributes placed near Wigginton Park, Tamworth, after Ms Bunker’s body was found (Jacob King/PA)

Streete, of no fixed address but previously of St Austell Close, Tamworth, said: “Because I was scared.

“I didn’t know how to act and explain to other people how she died because I felt embarrassed in myself and very scared, to explain to police – everyone.

“My mom and dad – everyone.”

Streete agreed he had had some “problems with reading and writing”, telling the jury he left secondary school without qualifications before becoming a packer for online shopping firm Ocado.

He later got a football scholarship “for Lichfield and Tamworth” which ended because he “stopped playing football”.

Before the defendant began his evidence, jurors were told Streete had the assistance of a professional intermediary in court, sitting nearby but adhering to social distancing measures.

The judge explained the intermediary was “qualified to explain to him in simple terms, if necessary, the questions, and to assess the ability of individuals to understand and follow questions being asked of them”.

Prosecutors have told the jury Streete changed his account at least four times between his arrest and the trial.

Streete is also accused of two further counts of rape, three counts of sexual assault and a charge of sexual activity with a child, against three other victims, all said to have happened in previous years.

He denies all charges and his trial continues.

Read Full Story Click here to comment