Kensington Palace 'files legal complaint' with Tatler after claims Duchess of Cambridge was 'overworked'

Mental Health Awareness Week

Kensington Palace has filed a legal complaint to Tatler after it ran an article suggesting the Duchess of Cambridge was upset at her increased workload during the coronavirus pandemic.

The society magazine ran a profile on the duchess called "Catherine the Great" that quoted friends of the royal who said she felt "exhausted and trapped" as she took on more duties, particularly after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepped back from their roles.

The palace put out a statement after the article emerged denying claims, a rare move, but Tatler appeared to stand by the piece.

17 PHOTOS
Royals during lockdown
See Gallery
Royals during lockdown
William and Kate’s ‘bingo lingo’ not up to scratch, say players
VE Day message is never give up, Queen tells nation
LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 17: In this photo illustration Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge have an broadcast interview on BBC Breakfast regarding coping with the Coronavirus on April 17, 2020 in London, England. (Photo by Samir Hussein/WireImage)
LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 23: In this screengrab, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Catherine Duchess of Cambridge, Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge and Prince Louis of Cambridge clap for NHS carers as part of the BBC Children In Need and Comic Relief 'Big Night In at London on April 23, 2020 in London, England.The 'Big Night In' brings the nation an evening of unforgettable entertainment in a way we've never seen before. Raising money for and paying tribute to those on the front line fighting Covid-19 and all the unsung heroes supporting their communities. (Photo by Comic Relief/BBC Children in Need/Comic Relief via Getty Images)
William and Kate’s ‘bingo lingo’ not up to scratch, say players
William jokes about perils of dinner time with children in call to charity
William jokes about perils of dinner time with children in call to charity
Royal family team up in show of support as they call nurses around the globe
Royal family team up in show of support as they call nurses around the globe
Royal family team up in show of support as they call nurses around the globe
The royal family has teamed up to call nurses around the world for International Nurses Day in a show of solidarity and thanks for the healthcare profession amid the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic. The Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Princess Royal, the Countess of Wessex and Princess Alexandra all played their part in the unprecedented mass of global royal phone calls, messages and video chats as they paid tribute to nurses’ “incredible work”.
Sophie volunteers by packing food parcels for hospital staff
Sophie volunteers by packing food parcels for hospital staff
Kate speaks about life under lockdown as she launches photography project
William admits he worries about health of senior royals during Covid-19 crisis
William admits he worries about health of senior royals during Covid-19 crisis
File photo dated 8/4/2020 of an image of Queen Elizabeth II and quotes from her broadcast on Sunday to the UK and the Commonwealth in relation to the coronavirus epidemic are displayed on lights in London's Piccadilly Circus. The Queen celebrates her 94th birthday on Tuesday.
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

A statement from the palace said: "This story contains a swathe of inaccuracies and false misrepresentations which were not put to Kensington Palace prior to publication."

Tatler responded on Monday in a statement which said: "We can confirm we have received correspondence from lawyers acting for the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge and believe it has no merit."

Last week, a Tatler spokesman had said: "Kensington Palace knew we were running the 'Catherine the Great' cover months ago and we asked them to work together on it. The fact they are denying they ever knew is categorically false."

The Sunday Telegraph reported the palace has now filed a legal complaint and wants Tatler to take the article down from its website.

A source told the paper: "Like many people across the country, the Duchess is juggling home schooling and work. But she's not also having to juggle being a front line worker. She is of course cognisant of that.

"That's who she would much prefer the attention to be on."

Kensington Palace declined to comment further.

Kate, 38, and her husband Prince William have been living in Anmer Hall, their Norfolk home, since the coronavirus lockdown, where they have focused their work on the mental health of frontline workers.

Their children have been seen doing the clap for carers, celebrating frontline workers, and the duchess also released pictures she took of Princess Charlotte helping make up food packages for vulnerable pensioners.

William, 37, released his documentary about mental health and football as planned, but with a markedly different ending as the lockdown disrupted the previous methods of campaigning.

Kate, 38, has launched a photography project with the National Portrait Gallery that seeks to capture the mood of the nation in lockdown.

- This article first appeared on Yahoo

READ MORE: Will Princess Charlotte be going back to school on Monday?

READ MORE:'Relatable' Duchess of Cambridge discusses homeschooling in TV interview

Read Full Story Click here to comment

FROM OUR PARTNERS