Harry Dunn’s family ‘actively considering’ private prosecution
The family of Harry Dunn are considering a private criminal prosecution against the US suspect in the case, their spokesman has said.
A file of evidence was handed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) on November 1 after Northamptonshire Police interviewed 42-year-old Anne Sacoolas in the US.
Family spokesman Radd Seiger said Harry’s parents were going through “untold mental anguish” caused by what they call a “delay” in a charging decision in the 19-year-old’s case.
The PA news agency understands the family have requested two meetings with Chief Crown Prosecutor Janine Smith, who has said she will meet with them once a charging decision has been made.
In a statement on Monday, Mr Seiger said it “boggles the mind that no charge has yet been laid” and that discussions about a private prosecution were under way.
He said: “Sadly, the family are losing faith and confidence in the criminal justice agencies to do the right thing and authorise that charge and have therefore reluctantly concluded that they have no choice other than to now actively consider with their lawyers in London bringing a private criminal prosecution against Anne Sacoolas.
“Those discussions are now well advanced. Frankly, no one who had been through what they had been through and are continuing to go through, could blame them.”
Mr Seiger added that the family had felt “completely let down and abandoned” over the case, more than 12 weeks after 19-year-old Harry died in a head-on collision.
Harry was killed when his motorbike was involved in a crash with a car outside the RAF Croughton base in Northamptonshire on August 27.
Mrs Sacoolas, the motorist allegedly responsible for the crash, claimed diplomatic immunity and was allowed to return to the US.
The CPS has been contacted for comment.