Police sent to US to interview suspect in Harry Dunn death

Northamptonshire Police has sent officers to the US to interview the woman who claimed diplomatic immunity following her alleged involvement in the death of Harry Dunn.

The 19-year-old motorcyclist died when his motorbike crashed into a car driven by US woman Anne Sacoolas outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on August 27.

"Yesterday the family were told the police had passed their file to the (Crown Prosecution Service) yet tonight were informed that the police were travelling the USA to interview Mrs Sacoolas," family spokesman Radd Seiger said on Twitter.

"Those two statements appear to be contradictory on the face of it further compounding the family's misery."

Harry's parents, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, will on Tuesday meet with shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry, who is expected to call for a Parliamentary inquiry into the teenager's death.

On Monday, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told the Commons he had commissioned a review into immunity arrangements for US personnel and their families at the RAF Croughton annex in light of the case.

Mr Raab said there are "no barriers to justice being done" for Harry.

Dominic Raab
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said there are no barriers to justice for Harry Dunn's family (Victoria Jones/PA)

He also said the UK Government believes diplomatic immunity "clearly ended" for Mrs Sacoolas, 42, when she left the country for America shortly after the crash.

He added it would be for the Crown Prosecution Service and police to decide what steps to take, telling MPs he is "not aware of any obstacle" under the UK/US Extradition Treaty.

Harry's parents have cancelled a meeting set for Wednesday afternoon with Chief Constable Nick Adderley of Northamptonshire Police after it became clear his intention was not to answer "a series of key questions" the family had scripted, Mr Seiger said.

Harry Dunn death
Harry Dunn's family is seeking justice after the woman allegedly involved in his death left the UK (Northamptonshire Police/PA)

The PA News Agency were told the force's chief contacted the family to "provide clarity" that the meeting would only be a "private and personal visit to express condolences".

Announcing the decision to cancel the meeting on Twitter, Mr Seiger said: "The time for condolences has long since passed and the answers to the many questions about Anne Sacoolas's departure and next steps are long overdue!

"Every moment that passes without those answers only compounds the family's pain and misery. Totally unacceptable!"

Mrs Charles and Mr Dunn travelled to the US last week in an attempt to put pressure on authorities to return Mrs Sacoolas to the UK.

The visit included talks at the White House with President Donald Trump, during which the family was told that Mr Dunn's alleged killer was in a nearby room and prepared to meet them.

They refused the meeting, insisting such an encounter take place in Britain.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS