Harry Dunn's parents reject 'bombshell' offer to meet Anne Sacoolas during Trump talks
Harry Dunn's parents have refused to meet the American woman allegedly responsible for their son's death after they discovered she was in the White House during their talks with Donald Trump.
Tim Dunn and Charlotte Charles said "the bombshell was dropped" that Anne Sacoolas was in the room next door to meet them as they discussed their case with the US president on Tuesday.
Trump informed the family during the meeting that Mrs Sacoolas would not return to the UK.
Harry, 19, was killed when his motorbike was involved in a head-on collision outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire in August.
Mrs Sacoolas, the motorist allegedly responsible for the crash, claimed diplomatic immunity and allowed to return to the US after the crash.
Mr Dunn's parents, Charlotte Charles and Tim Dunn, said prior to the meeting they hoped it would prove a "positive development" in their fight for justice.
Their campaign has attracted interest either side of the Atlantic due to the chief suspect being the wife of a US diplomat stationed in the UK.
The family travelled to the United States to convince President Trump to reverse the decision.
In a post on the Justice 4 Harry GoFundMe page, Ms Charles and Mr Dunn said of the meeting at the White House: "We are grateful for the invitation, which we hope represents a positive development in our fight for justice.
"Our priority, as any parent will understand, is justice for our child. We believe this can only be achieved if Anne Sacoolas returns to England and engages properly with the justice system, where she will be treated fairly in a proper investigation of what happened to our son on that day – an investigation that cannot happen without her co-operation.
"Friends tell each other the truth. If Britain and America are friends then we believe there should be no possibility of a citizen of one country hiding from justice in another while falsely claiming a privilege such as diplomatic immunity."
The family, who met Foreign Secretary Dominic Rabb in the UK last week, have also demanded an investigation over the Foreign Office's (FCO) advice to Northamptonshire Police that Ms Sacoolas had diplomatic immunity.
They are demanding to see all emails, messages and notes sent in relation to her immunity status.
Speaking in New York, family spokesman Radd Seiger said: "We want to conduct an investigation into the FCO's decision to advise Northamptonshire Police that this lady had the benefit of diplomatic immunity.
"What we don't know is whether somebody cocked up or whether they were put under pressure by the Americans to concede."
If they are not happy with the documents, the family say they will then ask for a judge's opinion on the lawfulness of the FCO's decision.
Mr Seiger added: "If we're not satisfied, then we'll go to a judicial review and ask a High Court judge to review it all."
On Saturday, before the family left for the US, they received a letter from Mr Raab, saying that Mrs Sacoolas, 42, no longer had immunity.
"The letter is worded very carefully, they're not saying it's just a change of heart – they are saying that it's an evolution," said Mr Seiger.
He also said that the family's lawyers, Mark Stephens and Geoffrey Robertson QC, believe "they've (the FCO) been lying to you".
Mrs Sacoolas has said she is "terribly sorry" about the incident and that she had "no time to react" when she saw Mr Dunn's motorbike.