Passengers injured after double-decker bus overturns in Devon

Passengers injured after double-decker bus overturns in Devon

A number of passengers have been injured after a double-decker bus overturned in a collision in Devon, police have said.

Devon and Cornwall Police said emergency services were called to the "serious" incident on the A385 Totnes Road, between Totnes and Paignton, that took place at around 11am on Saturday.

In a statement the force said: "A double-decker bus has overturned and a number of passengers have sustained injuries.

"Currently we believe that one person has sustained serious injuries."

Passengers injured after double-decker bus overturns in DevonIt said over a dozen people had sustained minor injuries in the incident.

In an update on Twitter shortly before 2pm, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service area manager Gerald Taylor said all casualties had been cleared from the scene.

Police said the South West Ambulance Service had declared the collision a "major incident" and sent ambulance, patient transport vehicles and the air ambulance to provide support.

Photos shared by Mr Taylor showed the Stagecoach Gold double-decker bus overturned on its side in a field.

Other images shared online revealed the extent of the emergency service response, with multiple vehicles, including helicopters at the scene.

Liberal Democrat MP for Totnes, Sarah Wollaston, said: "Dreadful news, thank you to all our emergency services responding in difficult conditions."

A witness told the DevonLive news website: "Very bad accident outside Totnes.

"There are many people with very severe injuries. Maybe 20 with some trapped.

"I was passing and stopped to help but a lot of people too injured to move."

A spokesman for Stagecoach South West said: "We can confirm one of our buses has been involved in an incident on the A385 between Paignton and Totnes.

"Emergency services are at the scene. Our immediate thoughts are for those involved and we are helping the emergency services in any way that we can.

"Safety is our absolute priority and we will be assisting the investigation into the circumstances involved in the incident."

The A385 is expected to remain closed for some hours for investigation and recovery work and drivers have been advised to avoid the area.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS