Two killed in fire at former steelworks
Two men have died following a fire at the site of a former steelworks in Teesside.
Fire crews attended the SSI site in South Bank, Redcar, at around 2.15pm on Thursday after a blaze broke out on the premises.
On Friday morning, Cleveland Police confirmed two men had died in the incident.
Detective Superintendent Tariq Ali said: “We can now confirm that there have sadly been two fatalities as a result of an incident at the former SSI site in South Bank yesterday.
“The families of those two men have been informed and our thoughts remain with them at this very difficult time.”
Earlier on Thursday, emergency services had evacuated the site, part of the South Tees Development Corporation area, and declared the fire a “major incident”.
Police said the Health and Safety Executive had been informed of the fire.
In a statement issued on Friday morning, Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said: “Yesterday was a terrible and tragic day and all of our thoughts go out to the family, friends and colleagues of the two workers who were involved in the accident on site.
“It is impossible to imagine the pain and distress which this news will have brought the loved ones of those involved. All of the staff who work at the South Tees Development Corporation site are deeply shocked and sorry for this loss.
“All works on site have been suspended while investigations continue. The team is working with the emergency services and the Health and Safety Executive, who will continue to have an ongoing presence on site.”