Sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge dies in hospital five years after sibling’s death

The sister of Hannah Witheridge, who was murdered in Thailand in 2014, has died in hospital - five years and one day after the death of her sibling.

Miss Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk, was found dead on a beach in Thailand on September 15 2014.

Her sister Laura Daniels, 30, had been "gravely ill" and died in hospital on Monday, and her family said that their "hearts are broken".

Laura Daniels, the sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge, has died in hospital (PA)They said in a statement: "We confirm that our beautiful girl Laura passed away on Monday 16 September.

"Laura had been gravely ill and was being treated in hospital.

"Our hearts are broken, our lives are shattered once more.

"The pain of this loss is indescribable and our family very much need time and privacy during this unbearable time."

The bodies of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found on Koh Tao in 2014 (PA)The bodies of Miss Witheridge and 24-year-old David Miller, from Jersey, were found on the resort island of Koh Tao in 2014.

They had arrived in Thailand separately and met at the hotel where they were both staying.

The conviction of two Burmese migrants who were sentenced to death for their murder was upheld last month.

Myanmar migrants Win Zaw Htun, right, and Zaw Lin, left, both 22, are escorted by officials after their guilty verdict at court in Koh Samui, Thailand, Thursday, Dec. 24, 2015. A Thai court on Thursday sentenced the two Myanmar migrants to death for killing British backpackers David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23,  on the resort island of Koh Tao last year, a crime that focused global attention on tourist safety and police conduct in the country. (AP Photo/Wason Wanichakorn)

Wai Phyo and Zaw Lin had denied killing Mr Miller and raping and killing Miss Witheridge.

Lawyers for the two men had claimed evidence used in the case against them was mishandled and they made confessions under duress that they later retracted, raising questions about police competence and the judicial system in Thailand.

Human Rights Watch at the time called the verdict "profoundly disturbing", citing the defendants' accusations of police torture that were never investigated and questionable DNA evidence linking them to the crime.

However, Thailand's Supreme Court upheld their convictions.

- This article first appeared on Yahoo

Girl stops armed robber raiding supermarket by throwing bread at him

Winning the lottery does make you happy, scientists find

Boris Johnson has grown in popularity since becoming Prime Minister

Read Full Story