Boy who survived Tate Modern fall making ‘amazing’ progress, says family

The family of the six-year-old French boy who was allegedly thrown from a viewing platform at the Tate Modern art gallery has said he is making “amazing” progress.

In a statement they said the child was unable to speak or move his body, but was an “incredible fighter” and had been smiling and laughing.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had to be airlifted to hospital after he was found on a fifth-floor roof at the London tourist attraction on August 4.

His family’s statement said: “Hello everybody. Just a little message to tell you about our son’s amazing progresses.

“He is an incredible fighter. Even if he can’t speak or move his body for the moment, we now know for sure that he understands us.”

They said the boy “smiles” and had been “laughing several times” when they told him “some funny things “ or when “reading to him some stories”.

“It gives us lots of strength and hope, as much as the strength you, all of you, give us since the beginning with your kind messages,” the statement added.

“Thank you so much for what you do for our little boy and for us.”

The family’s message was shared via a GoFundMe web page set up by nurse Vicky Diplacto, from Surrey, whose own brother was paralysed in an incident overseas.

The crowd-funding initiative, which aims to cover the medical costs of the injured French boy’s family, has so far raised over 60,000 Euros.

Ms Diplacto said in a previous online post: “These last few weeks we have seen donations continue and we are slowly creeping closer to the 60,000 euro mark!

“This is incredible and is testament to the huge amount of love and support there is for this family. Once again, I would like to thank each and every one of you.

“We have now finalised the arrangements for withdrawals which means the family will have access to this money whenever they need it now.”

She said a “book of wishes” including supporters’ comments was being compiled for the family.

Last month, the Old Bailey was told that psychiatric reports had been ordered for the 17-year-old accused of throwing the French boy from the viewing platform.

No pleas were entered at the hearing and the teenager was remanded in custody, with the court being told that any trial would be listed to last two weeks and would be held in the new year.

A reporting restriction bans the identities of both the victim and the defendant being made public.

During the defendant’s first appearance at Bromley Youth Court last month, the court heard that the young boy had suffered a bleed on the brain and fractures to his spine, legs and arms.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS