Man guilty of terror plot using bomb in remote-controlled vehicle
An Iraqi-Kurd man has been found guilty of planning a terror attack using a bomb in a remotely-controlled vehicle.
Farhad Salah, 24, was found guilty at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday of preparing to commit acts of terrorism.
Jurors heard how Salah posted on social media about using a driverless car in an attack.
But the jury cleared his co-defendant, Chesterfield chip-shop owner Andy Star, 32, who was charged with the same offence.
This is the second time Salah and Mr Star have been tried on these charges.
A jury failed to reach verdicts on either man following a trial last year.
Judge Paul Watson QC told Mr Star a decision had been made that he should not face a second retrial and a not guilty verdict was recorded in his case.
He said Mr Star could go free but was informed that he will continue to be detained on immigration matters.
The judge said Salah will be sentenced on July 24.
Prosecutors told the five-week trial that Salah and Mr Star, 32, were in the early stages of testing small improvised explosive devices when they were arrested in high-profile raids on their homes in a Sheffield community centre and a Chesterfield fish-and-chip shop in December 2017.
But Mr Star has always insisted that gunpowder and other items found in his flat above the chip shop were all connected to his long-standing interest in fireworks.