Man convicted of murdering child killer

A man has been found guilty of stabbing a convicted child killer to death.

Ieuan Harley, 23, murdered David Gaut after discovering he had been jailed for killing a 15-month-old boy in 1985.

On Monday, a jury found Mr Gaut’s neighbour David Osborne, 51, not guilty of murder or manslaughter after he was accused of taking part in the killing.

Harley and Darran Evesham, 47, were also found guilty of perverting the course of justice, a charge Osborne had admitted before the trial, after attempting to dispose of evidence of the killing.

Court artist sketch by Elizabeth Cook of (left to right) David Osborne, male dock officer, Ieuan Harley, female dock officer and Darran Evesham, during their trail at Newport Crown Court for their part in the murder of convicted child killer David Gaut.
(Left to right) David Osborne, male dock officer, Ieuan Harley, female dock officer and Darran Evesham (Elizabeth Cook/PA)

During the trial, Newport Crown Court heard Mr Gaut was killed on the night of August 2 last year after his neighbours in Long Row, New Tredegar, discovered he had served 32 years in jail for killing toddler Chi Ming Shek in 1985.

Prosecutors alleged he was lured to neighbour Osborne’s flat before being attacked with at least two knives, before being stabbed at least 150 times while he was still alive and another 26 times after his death, and his fingernails were also cut off.

At least one knife was said to have been used to kill Mr Gaut and a screwdriver was later used to stab his dead body, leaving him with injuries that were so gruesome pictures were deliberately kept away from the jury.

A Peugeot car was set on fire hours after the killing, which Evesham later told a BBC reporter had contained bloodied sheets from the killing, which he claimed had been committed by “three spice addicts”.

David Gaut death court case
Child killer David Gaut hours before his murder (Gwent Police/PA)

Police later recovered heavily blood-stained clothing from a riverbank close to where Osborne and Evesham were caught on CCTV walking.

Bloodied towels and sheets were found inside a black Sports Direct bag and nearby was a B&M Bargains bag which contained blood-stained underwear, socks, a white T-shirt and grey Everlast tracksuit bottoms.

The jury at Newport Crown Court took over five hours to return their verdicts following a three-week trial.

Mr Justice Lewis remanded the three men in custody ahead of their sentencing on March 25.

Read Full Story