End of Grenfell police probe ‘still years from here’ – Commissioner

The end of the police investigation into the Grenfell Tower fire is years away, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner said.

Survivors and loved ones of those who died in the tragedy may have a painful wait for charges to be brought, with the end of the probe “still years from here”, Cressida Dick said.

The criminal investigation is looking at look into allegations of individual and corporate manslaughter and potential health and safety breaches.

In July, the Met revealed three interviews had been carried out under caution.

Ms Dick said around 200 officers were carrying out some “incredibly complex and thorough investigations”, which involved speaking with “lots and lots” of people, some under caution.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick
Ms Dick said around 200 officers were carrying out some ‘incredibly complex and thorough investigations’ (Gareth Fuller/PA)

Speaking 18 months after the fire, she said: “I’m sure at various stages there will be consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) as to whether any criminal offences are made out and whether they could be proven.

“But it’s going to be a very long job. I’ve always said that from the beginning. We have been very clear this will take years, not months, sadly.

“I know that’s no comfort to the families, but when you look at the complexity of the volume of the material, and the complexity of the chains of decision making involved in the building, and indeed in how the building was put together and the way it was constructed, the way it was regulated and all those things, it’s a massively complicated investigation.”

A total of 72 people died as a result of the blaze on June 14 last year.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS