Former Stormont minister quizzed over Kingsmill tweet

A former minister in the Stormont Executive has been questioned by police investigating social media activity.

Sinn Fein Assembly member Mairtin O Muilleoir retweeted a video posted by former West Tyrone MP Barry McElduff which angered victims of the republican Kingsmill shootings.

Mr McElduff resigned as MP for the area in January, 10 days after a controversy flared when he posted a video of himself with a Kingsmill-branded loaf on his head on the anniversary of the notorious massacre.

He insisted the video was not an intentional reference to the 1976 sectarian murders of 10 Protestant workmen by republican paramilitaries near the Co Armagh village of Kingsmill, but he acknowledged it had caused hurt and offence to victims' families.

Barry McElduff Twitter post
Barry McElduff resigned as MP for West Tyrone in January (Niall Carson/PA)

A Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) statement said: "Police investigating complaints about a video uploaded to social media on January 6 have interviewed a 58-year-old man."

Detective Chief Superintendent Tim Mairs said he attended Musgrave police station in Belfast city centre voluntarily on Thursday by prior arrangement.

"A report will now be prepared for the Public Prosecution Service."

It is understood he was interviewed about offences under communications and public order laws.

Mr O Muilleoir was finance minister in the Executive from 2016 until the collapse of powersharing last year.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS