Carwyn Jones to step down as Welsh First Minister after nine years
Carwyn Jones has announced he is to stand down as the Welsh First Minister in the autumn.
The 51-year-old former barrister, from Swansea, made the announcement at the Welsh Labour conference in Llandudno on Saturday.
Earlier, Swansea East MP Carolyn Harris had won the election to become Mr Jones' deputy within the Welsh Labour party.
His decision to stand down will bring to an end his nine-year stint as First Minister, succeeding Rhodri Morgan in December 2009.
Stephen Kinnock, Labour MP for Aberavon, said: "Carwyn has been a brilliant leader of Welsh Labour, and an outstanding First Minister. Truly a giant of Welsh politics. We wish him well."
The decision comes months after Mr Jones referred himself to an independent inquiry over allegations of bullying at a senior level of the Welsh Government three years ago, following the death of assembly member Carl Sargeant in November.
Former minister Leighton Andrews has said that Mr Sargeant, who is believed to have taken his own life four days after being removed from his role as cabinet secretary for communities and children while facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour, was "unquestionably the target" of some of the behaviour and "toxic" atmosphere.
Mr Jones previously told assembly members that any issues brought to his attention at that time were dealt with, but leader of the Welsh Conservatives Andrew RT Davies suggested Mr Jones may have "misled assembly members" over his knowledge of bullying in the Welsh Government.