Police appeal after attack victim dies

Police have issued a £20,000 reward to help catch two "cowards" who attacked a "larger-than-life" man on Trafalgar Square and left him with such severe injuries he never recovered.

Desmond O'Beirne, 51, was beaten so badly in the unprovoked attack last summer that he ended up in a vegetative state and died six months later.

Mr O'Beirne, from Westminster, central London, was attacked outside the National Portrait Gallery as he walked across the historic square on June 3 last year.

He was punched from behind to the ground by one attacker before the other kicked him in the hip.

DCI Noel McHugh told The Metro: "Someone might see this video and remember that they witnessed this incident; you will see a female who is clearly shocked by what has happened and holds her hands up to her face.

'The CCTV shows that he was senselessly attacked'

"You may have been part of the group and did not realise how seriously Desmond was hurt and that he has now died. That may prey on your mind.

"You can contact us and help us get justice. Desmond was an inoffensive man, a big man and character, who was out having a drink. The CCTV shows that he was senselessly attacked and he never stood a chance."

Desmond's sister, Vivienne Folan, told the paper: "I am trying to get justice for Desmond, his two attackers were very distinctive and part of a larger group. I hope that witnesses and those from that group who did not know how serious the attack was will now come forward."

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS