Victims face wait for John Worboys release challenge ruling

Victims of black cab rapist John Worboys face a wait to see if they have successfully challenged a decision to release him from jail.

At the conclusion of two days of legal argument, three leading judges at the High Court in London reserved their ruling to a date to be fixed.

They also continued a temporary bar preventing the serial sex attacker's release, which was originally granted in January after legal action was launched against the Parole Board's decision.

Worboys, 60, who now goes by the name John Radford, watched via a video link from prison as Sir Brian Leveson, Mr Justice Garnham and Mr Justice Jay announced on Wednesday that they would take time to consider their decision.

Sir Brian Leveson (Lewis Whyld/PA)
Sir Brian Leveson (Lewis Whyld/PA)

Sir Brian said: "We will reserve the decision and take time to give the case anxious scrutiny.

"It is obviously critical for everybody, but particularly the interested party (Worboys), that he knows what the result of this case is as soon as possible."

Earlier in the proceedings, Edward Fitzgerald QC, for Worboys, told the packed court: "He has completed his tariff and he is therefore entitled to be released if it is not necessary for the protection of the public that he be detained.

"The Parole Board had directed his release, he was entitled on their direction to freedom and he has had that taken away.

"I think it is a unique case in which someone who has been granted his freedom has then had it taken away from him.

"If ever there was a case for the judicial review jurisdiction to be exercised with the greatest care and anxious scrutiny, it is this case."

Worboys was jailed indefinitely in 2009 with a minimum term of eight years after being found guilty of 19 offences, including rape, sexual assault and drugging, committed against 12 victims.

He became known as the black cab rapist after attacking victims in his hackney carriage.

Police believe he committed crimes against 105 women between 2002 and 2008, when he was caught.

Two women, who cannot be named for legal reasons, brought the landmark challenge, arguing that something went "badly wrong" with the Parole Board's decision to free him - and that the ruling was "irrational" and should be quashed.

They say the Parole Board should have taken into account "critical evidence" of the "wider allegations" against Worboys.

The court previously heard Worboys, who has served 10 years behind bars, including remand time, has denied committing any offences other than those he was convicted of.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, and The Sun newspaper have also taken part in the legal action.

The Parole Board argues its decision was "lawful and and rational" and was based on appropriate evidence.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS