Charity boss quits amid claims of inappropriate behaviour


A Unicef executive has quit after allegations were made of inappropriate behaviour while he worked for Save the Children.

Justin Forsyth resigned as deputy executive director of Unicef in New York after his former colleagues complained about his conduct.

Mr Forsyth previously admitted making "some personal mistakes" during his time at Save the Children.

He said he is stepping down "because of the danger of damaging both Unicef and Save the Children" and not because of his past mistakes.

Mr Forsyth was twice subject to investigation at Save the Children after concerns were raised about his conduct in 2011 and again in 2015 involving three women.

The charity has since apologised to the female employees, admitting their claims were not properly dealt with at the time.

In a statement on Thursday he said: "With heavy heart, I am today tendering my resignation to Unicef as Deputy Executive Director.

"I want to make clear I am not resigning from Unicef because of the mistakes I made at Save the Children.

"They were dealt with through a proper process many years ago.

"I apologised unreservedly at the time and face to face. I apologise again.

"There is no doubt in my mind that some of the coverage around me is not just to (rightly) hold me to account, but also to attempt to do serious damage to our cause and the case for aid.

"I am resigning because of the danger of damaging both Unicef and Save the Children and our wider cause.

"Two organisations I truly love and cherish. I can't let this happen."

The disclosures came after Brendan Cox, the widower of murdered MP Jo Cox, admitted that he made "mistakes" and behaved in a way that caused some women "hurt and offence" when he was working at Save the Children.

Mr Cox and Mr Forsyth had previously worked together at 10 Downing Street under Gordon Brown.