Alfie's father says fight for life-support treatment will continue

The father of a brain-damaged boy has said he will not give up despite losing a life-support treatment battle in the High Court

A judge on Tuesday ruled that doctors could stop treating 21-month-old Alfie Evans.

Mr Justice Hayden said he accepted medical evidence which showed further treatment was futile.

Kate James and Tom Evans arrive at the High Court (Jonathan Brady/PA)
Kate James and Tom Evans arrive at the High Court (Jonathan Brady/PA)

The judge, who analysed Alfie's case in hearings at the Family Division of the High Court, said he had reached his conclusion with great sadness.

Specialists at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool had asked the judge to rule that life-support treatment could stop.

Alfie's parents Kate James and Tom Evans, in their 20s, wanted treatment to continue.

Mr Evans told the judge he wanted time to consider the ruling before deciding whether to appeal.

Outside court he complained that the decision was wrong.

"My son has been sentenced to the death penalty," said Mr Evans.

"The system has worked against us.

"I'm not crying because I know how wrong they are, I know how strong my boy is doing. He is strong, he is comfortable.

"This isn't the end. This is just the start. I'm going to take this ... NHS down.

"I'm not giving up, my son isn't giving up. No-one, I repeat, no-one in this country, is taking my boy away from me.

"They are not violating his rights and they are violating my rights."

Mr Justice Hayden delivered a ruling in London after analysing evidence at a trial.

"Alfie's need now is for good quality palliative care," he said.

"He requires peace, quiet and privacy in order that he may conclude his life as he has lived it, with dignity."

He paid tribute to Alfie's parents and to doctors and nurses at Alder Hey.

Alfie's mother left the court hearing before Mr Justice Hayden reached his conclusion and his father broke down as the decision was announced.

Alfie Evans
Alfie was born on May 9 2016 (Family handout/PA)

Doctors had told the judge that Alfie, who was born on May 9 2016, was in a coma and had a degenerative neurological condition doctors had not definitively diagnosed.

They said continuing to provide life support treatment was "unkind, unfair and inhumane".

Alfie's parents believe that he responds to them.

The judge had visited Alfie in hospital and said the boy's parents had tried to explore every avenue and leave no stone unturned.

Read Full Story