Man convicted of tourist's stab murder after drug binge

A man has been found guilty of stabbing a tourist to death after a drink and drugs binge.

Nicholas Foy, 39, from Eltham, south-east London, was convicted at the Old Bailey on Monday of murdering 49-year-old Laurent Volpe.

French national Mr Volpe had been on holiday with his family when he stepped out to get some food just before 7pm on August 11 last year.

As he made his way down Well Hall Parade in Eltham, Voy - wearing just pink shorts - attacked him, stabbing him in the stomach.

Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Inspector John Marriott said: "This was a completely unprovoked attack on an innocent man who was holidaying in London.

"Although Foy admitted having been on a drug binge in the hours leading up to the murder, this in no way excuses his actions that evening."

Police were called to the scene at around 6.55pm.

The London Ambulance Service attended and found Mr Volpe suffering from a stab wound.

He was taken to King's College Hospital in a critical condition, but died on August 14.

Foy was arrested shortly after the stabbing having threatened three people with a large knife.

During his arrest he assaulted a police officer and had to be tasered.

As he was being taken to hospital for self-inflicted wounds to his foot, he assaulted another officer.

He told officers that he had taken cocaine and alcohol prior to the murder.

Foy will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday.

Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS