Campaigner loses legal bid to block Haringey development scheme
A campaigner has lost a High Court bid to block a controversial £2 billion housing scheme.
Gordon Peters took legal action against the Haringey Development Vehicle (HDV) - a private-public partnership to develop housing throughout the borough.
The partnership involves a 50/50 split between the London Borough of Haringey and private developer Lendlease Europe Holdings Ltd.
At a hearing in October, Mr Peters, a member of the Stop HDV campaign group, challenged the council cabinet's decision to approve the plan, arguing it was "unlawful".
But, in a ruling on Thursday, Mr Justice Ouseley dismissed his case entirely.
Outlining the case, the judge said: "The merits of that decision, and of those which led up to it, are controversial among many in the borough, including council tenants.
"There was considerable public interest at the hearing.
"But I am not concerned with the wisdom or merits of the decision.
"I am concerned with the issues of law about the powers of the council and the lawfulness of the procedures it adopted."
He said he could not rule that, had a proper consultation been carried out by the council in 2015, it was "highly likely" the decision would have been the same.
However, he said Mr Peters had left it "too late" to challenge the scheme.
He said that, between November 2015 and August last year, the council had incurred costs of £1.45 million on the HDV.
Meanwhile, Lendlease's costs between February 2016 and August last year were £3.5 million.
The judge also rejected arguments that the partnership was set up incorrectly, breached equality rules and should have been approved by a full council meeting.
He added: "For the reasons given, I refuse permission on all grounds."