Terminally ill man wins bid to appeal over right-to-die ruling
Terminally ill Noel Conway has won the first stage of his Court of Appeal bid to challenge a ruling he says denies him a "peaceful and dignified" death.
The 68-year-old retired lecturer from Shrewsbury, who suffers from motor neurone disease, wants medics to be able to help him die when he has just six months left to live.
He lost a High Court fight in October last year to allow him to bring about his death in the way he wishes.
But he was given the go-ahead for a full hearing at the Court of Appeal on Thursday by Sir Ernest Ryder and Lord Justice Underhill.
Sir Ernest and Lord Justice Underhill granted Mr Conway a full appeal on the earlier High Court ruling.
Sir Ernest said: "Having given the matter the consideration that we have, we believe it appropriate to give permission."
The judges made their decision based on documents submitted by Mr Conway's legal team, without hearing any oral representations.
Sir Ernest said the court will give reasons for its decision later today.