Manchester Arena bomber's pre-inquest hearing adjourned for probe into brother
A pre-inquest hearing into the death of Manchester Arena suicide bomber Salman Abedi has been adjourned while police investigate his brother's involvement in the attack.
Fiona Borrill, area coroner for Manchester City, said that, due to the ongoing criminal investigation by police, the inquest into the death of Abedi, 22, like that of the 22 people he killed, could not take place yet.
Ms Borrill said during the three-minute hearing at Manchester Town Hall, that Abedi's family had been written to informing them of the adjournment. Only court officials, press and two uniformed police officers were present during the hearing.
Police have named the bomber's brother, Hashim Abedi, as a suspect.
He is in custody in Libya and his extradition to the UK was being sought over his alleged involvement in the terror bombing on May 22.
If he is returned to the UK he will be arrested and charged so any inquest proceedings must by law be suspended pending a possible criminal trial.
Ms Borrill said for these practical and legal reasons the inquest into Abedi's death was adjourned until June 28 2018.
He detonated his device at the end of an Ariana Grande concert with 353 people, including 175 children, around him in the foyer of the arena venue.
As well as the 22 dead, 16 people suffered very serious injuries including paralysis, loss of limbs, internal injuries, and very serious facial injuries involving complicated plastic surgery.
A total of 512 people were either physically injured or left profoundly traumatised with 112 treated in hospital.