Inquest to open into fire deaths linked to faulty tumble dryer

Updated: 

An inquest into the deaths of two men killed in a fire linked to a faulty tumble dryer will begin later today.

Doug McTavish, 39, and Bernard Hender, 19, died following the blaze in their flat on Ancaster Square, Llanrwst, North Wales.

A third man, Garry Lloyd Jones, survived the fire on October 10, 2014.

An investigation by North Wales Fire and Rescue Service found that the fire may have been caused by an electrical fault in a Hotpoint tumble dryer, according to solicitors representing the families of both men.

A number of fires have now been linked to faults on tumble dryers.

US firm Whirlpool has warned owners to unplug their machines after a potential fire risk was identified in Hotpoint, Creda and Indesit models manufactured between 2004 and 2015.

The safety notice, affecting a reported 5.3 million machines, was issued after the fire risk was identified caused by excess fluff coming into contact with the heating element.

The inquest, scheduled to last three days, begins at Abergele Town Hall later today.