Everton player Ross Barkley has been contacted by police after he was the victim of an "unprovoked attack" in a bar.
Merseyside Police are investigating the alleged assault at a Liverpool city centre bar in the early hours of Monday.
A force spokesman said: "A 23-year-old man was assaulted by another man in Santa Chupitos bar, on Slater Street.
"The victim, who was not injured, has been contacted by police and enquiries into the incident are ongoing, with CCTV opportunities being explored."
The attack was not reported to police but officers made inquiries after footage appeared on social media.
On Monday, lawyers for the midfielder released a statement which said: "We can confirm that Ross was the victim of an unprovoked attack by a stranger who approached him on Sunday evening."
Santa Chupitos, where the incident took place, said the member of staff responsible for leaking video footage had been sacked.
Tweeting from the account @santachupitos. the venue said: "Incidents like the one circulating the internet from a recent altercation in the bar are very rare and extremely unwelcome in the venue.
"There should be no place for this any walk of public life. The incident on the evening was handled quickly and professionally and no injuries occurred.
"We can confirm that we have fully investigated and dismissed the member of staff responsible for illegally recording and leaking imagery."