Prince Harry to undertake first public engagement since Meghan Markle revelation
Prince Harry will today carry out his first public engagement since he confirmed US actress Meghan Markle is his girlfriend.
Harry's relationship with the Suits star, which began a few months ago, was announced by his communications secretary in a strongly worded statement that described the "wave of abuse and harassment" she has experienced since the couple's news broke.
The prince's aide Jason Knauf revealed the depth of Harry's feelings for his girlfriend when he said in the statement the royal was "worried about Ms Markle's safety" and "deeply disappointed that he has not been able to protect her".
Mr Knauf said the Suits star had experienced ''the smear on the front page of a national newspaper; the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments''.
He added that there had also been attempts by members of the press to get into her home.
According to reports, towards the end of last month Harry was in Toronto where his girlfriend lives and the hit series Suits is filmed. The city will host the Prince's Invictus Games next year.
Harry has not been seen in public since a Sunday newspaper broke the story of the relationship more than a week ago.
Later today the prince will join his grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh at Westminster Abbey where they will visit the Field of Remembrance and lay crosses in honour of the fallen.
Philip and Harry will each lay a Cross of Remembrance, in front of two wooden crosses from the Graves of Unknown British Soldiers from the First and Second World Wars.
The Last Post will sound followed by two minutes silence after which the Duke and the Prince will visit the plots meeting veterans from past and more recent conflicts.