Review of VIP paedophile ring probe to be published
A review of Scotland Yard's doomed investigation into claims of a VIP paedophile ring is expected to be published on Tuesday.
Retired High Court judge Sir Richard Henriques was called in to analyse the Metropolitan Police's handling of a number of historical sex crime investigations involving high profile suspects, including Operation Midland.
The £2.5 million probe was launched after claims that boys had been sexually abused by public figures more than 30 years ago - but it closed in March without a single arrest.
Its anticipated publication comes as the Times reported the examination of Midland by Sir Richard would dismiss the claims of key witness "Nick", saying he was unreliable and should have been challenged about his claims far earlier that he actually was.
Force bosses received Sir Richard's report on October 31, and said that the earliest opportunity to publish his key findings and recommendations would be on Tuesday. The full report will be kept under wraps on the grounds that it contains "confidential and sensitive information".
Launched in November 2014, scrutiny of Operation Midland intensified when it emerged that the home of D-Day veteran Lord Bramall had been searched by 22 officers while he had breakfast with his terminally-ill wife. In January he was told he would face no further action, almost nine months after he was interviewed under caution.
Former MP Harvey Proctor, a fierce critic of the police's handling of the inquiry, saw his home raided and was twice interviewed under caution. He was finally told in March that he would face no further action. Both men had denied the allegations.
The widow of Lord Brittan, the late former home secretary, was also informed in March that he would have had no case to answer under the collapsed investigation.
Lady Brittan received an apology from Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe for not informing her earlier that her husband would not have faced prosecution over a separate allegation that he raped a 19-year-old woman in 1967.
Mr Proctor branded the key witness, who was given the name Nick to protect his identity, a "fantasist".
He dramatically revealed the detail of Nick's claims, including allegations of child murder, rape and torture by senior figures in Westminster, the army and security services.
Mr Proctor said he had been the victim of a "homosexual witch hunt" as a result, called for his accuser to be named and the officers in the case investigated after they described Nick's allegations as "credible and true".