Man dies after police fire a Taser


A man has died after police fired a Taser at him during an incident at a property in Wiltshire.

Officers were called to an address in Warminster shortly before midnight on Wednesday to reports a man had harmed himself and was threatening to hurt others.

Wiltshire Police said a Taser was discharged and the man subsequently died at the scene of the incident.

Generic police tape
(Scott Heppell/PA)

Paul Mills, assistant chief constable of Wiltshire Police, said: "Police officers attended an address in Warminster shortly before midnight on October 26 2016 concerning a report of a man at the address who had caused himself significant harm and was threatening further serious harm to himself and others.

"Police officers intervened and Taser was discharged, however, sadly, the man subsequently died at the scene.

"Our thoughts and condolences are with his family at this most tragic and difficult time, who are being supported by a specialist officer.

Wiltshire Police Headquarters
(Anthony Devlin/PA)

"In line with legislation, Wiltshire Police immediately referred the incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

"The IPCC are now conducting an independent investigation into the circumstances and it would therefore not be appropriate for us to make any further comment at this stage.

"It is important now to allow the IPCC time to conduct their independent investigation and not to speculate about what took place.

"The officers involved in the incident have been classified as witnesses by the IPCC at this time and are fully co-operating with the investigation.

"Local officers are meeting with members of the community and increased patrols in the area are ongoing to offer reassurance at this difficult time."

(Scott Heppell/PA)

The IPCC said it was examining contact between police and the the 44-year-old man prior to his death.

It said that officers entered the address where they came into contact with the man, who has not been formally identified.

Initial reports indicated he had caused himself serious harm and a knife was recovered from the scene.

During police interaction with the man, a Taser was deployed and the man was restrained.

The man became unresponsive and officers attempted resuscitation. An ambulance was called but the man was pronounced dead at the scene at around 12.30am on Thursday.