Police officers seriously hurt as a car reverses over them in an attempted murder


Two police officers are in a serious condition after being deliberately hit by a car.

The attack is being treated as attempted murder after the officers were struck by the car as they responded to a call in Glasgow.

They were called out to Banner Drive, Knightswood, at about 11.15pm on Sunday and had stopped a car to speak to the occupants. The car then deliberately reversed and struck both officers.

Emergency services were called to the scene and the officers were taken to hospital.

Police Scotland said the 30-year-old policewoman is in intensive care while her 31-year-old male colleague also remains in hospital.

Detective Inspector Ian Hylands said: "Our inquiries so far have revealed that a blue Nissan Qashqai was seen at the location around the time of the incident. A vehicle matching that description has been found badly damaged by fire in Lennox Gardens, Scotstoun.

Police car being towed
(Paul Ward/PA)

"However we have yet to confirm if that is the same vehicle. Despite the damage, forensic officers will carry out a comprehensive examination of the car.

"Everything that can be done to locate the suspects is being done but I would like to appeal to anyone who may have seen the incident last night or who has any knowledge of the vehicle or the suspects to contact us."

Brian Docherty, Scottish Police Federation chairman, said: "Our colleagues were simply doing their damnedest to keep the public safe and faced an unconscionable attack on their lives as a consequence.

"This is a despicable and cowardly act and there can be no doubt that those who drove a vehicle at police officers did so with the intention of taking their lives.

"Police officers put themselves in harm's way so others don't have to but we should never come to accept that violence is an occupational hazard."

Police car being towed away
(Paul Ward/PA)

He claimed Police Scotland did not inform the federation of the incident until almost 12 hours later and said he plans to question why a media appeal was not released more quickly.

He said the federation is supporting the injured officers, their families and colleagues.

Assistant Chief Constable Wayne Mawson said: "The Scottish Police Federation was notified of the incident before 9am this morning.

"The welfare and wellbeing of the officers are of paramount importance to Police Scotland and a senior officer visited both officers in hospital today.

"It is important to ensure that the facts are fully established around any incident so we can provide accurate information for an appeal to the public. As soon as we were notified of the incident an investigation was launched by detectives in Glasgow and efforts were made to inform next of kin.

"An appeal to the public was part of the investigative strategy. The facts were established and a release was drawn up and issued to media outlets following clearance processes. Police Scotland will continue to liaise with the Scottish Police Federation."