Man remanded on Matalan workers murder charges


A man has appeared in court charged with the murders of a couple who were allegedly stabbed to death outside the shop where they worked.

Matalan workers Zoe Morgan, 21, and Lee Simmons, 33, were found dead close to the fashion chain's store in Cardiff city centre on Wednesday morning.

Andrew Patrick Saunders, 20, faced magistrates in the Welsh capital on Friday charged with their murder.

Representing the Crown in the case was Monique McKevitt, while the defendant was represented by Tarik Sadiq.

Saunders spoke only to confirm his name, age and address before being remanded into custody.

Meanwhile, police are continuing to investigate and specially trained officers are helping the families of window dresser Miss Morgan and shop worker Mr Simmons.

On the eve of Friday's court hearing, Miss Morgan's family issued a tribute to the University of South Wales graduate - describing her as "a beautiful daughter, sister, granddaughter and auntie who had a heart of gold and would do anything for anybody".

A statement issued via South Wales Police said: "She was taken away from us tragically, too soon, and has left a massive hole in our lives that will never be filled. Zoe will always be in our hearts forever and always. We are all broken-hearted."

It is believed Miss Morgan and Mr Simmons struck up a romance while working together and had been dating for four months.

Their bodies were discovered in Queen Street at around 5.50am on September 28.

Police later said they believed the couple had died after suffering stab wounds.

In the aftermath of the deaths, Matalan staff broke down in tears as they returned to work and saw dozens of floral tributes laid outside the store.

Hundreds of pounds have been donated to a JustGiving page in memory of Miss Morgan, describing her as "fun, sweet and exceptionally kind and honest".

She had graduated in June with an honours degree in fashion marketing and retail design.

Saunders, who told the court he was of "no fixed address", will appear at Cardiff Crown Court on Monday October 3.