2-year-old girl dies in hospital after sea tragedy that also claimed the life of her dad

A two-year-old girl who was swept into the sea during an incident in which her father was killed has died in hospital, police said.

Mckayla Bruynius died at Bristol Children's Hospital on Tuesday night, having been caught by a large wave at Fistral beach in Newquay, Cornwall, last Friday.

Her father Rudy also died in the incident, during a weekend in which a total of six people were killed in tragedies around the coast.

 Rudy Bruynius and daughter Mckayla
(Family Handout/PA)

The little girl's mother Lisinda paid tribute to her daughter and husband in a statement released by Devon and Cornwall Police.

She said: "Rudy was a loving, caring and supportive husband, father and friend.

"He had a great sense of humour and was an active person. He always put other people first. Mckayla was a busy bee and always happy.

"I am in disbelief at what has happened. I am so shocked at how quickly the sea condition changed on that day whilst we were enjoying a family time together in Cornwall.

"I pray that others can learn from our tragedy as I do not wish for anybody to go through our grief.

Rudy and Lisinda Bruynius
(Lisinda Bruynius/PA)

"I would like to thank the RNLI, the staff at Royal Cornwall Hospital, the staff from Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, the emergency services and all the members of public for their generous support and prayers they have given towards my family.

"I would especially like to thank the people of Cornwall for their messages of love and offers of help.

"I will never forget the close community spirit displayed towards us. Please respect our privacy at this really difficult time and allow my sons and I to try to come to terms with what has happened."

Fistral beach
(Ben Birchall/PA)

The family of five were on rocks at Fistral beach at around 5.20pm last Friday when Rudy and Mckayla were washed into the sea by a large wave.

The RNLI lifeboat, Coastguard helicopter, beach lifeguards, police, air ambulance and ambulance crews attended the scene.

RNLI lifeguardsĀ carried out CPR on Rudy before he was taken by air ambulance to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro. The gardener, who was originally from South Africa, died later that evening.

Mckayla was recovered from the sea before being flown to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. She was later transferred to Bristol Children's Hospital.

The family's two sons managed to stay on the rocks and were found by the Coastguard. They suffered minor injuries.

Read Full Story