Three seriously injured after explosion at house in Greater Manchester


Greater Manchester explosion leaves several injured

Three people have suffered serious injuries after an explosion destroyed a terrace house.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service was called to the property in Curzon Street, Ashton under-Lyne, at around 5am on Tuesday and arrived to find the front and back of the building had collapsed.

the explosion blows a hole in the wall of the house (Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue/PA)
(Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue/PA)

Incident commander at the scene Alan Ashworth said the number of casualties had risen to "at least 10´´ - telling reporters at the scene they are "concerned" for three of these as they have "quite severe burns and lacerations".

He said crews were initially called to reports of a blaze but when they arrived firefighters found a "number of people injured on the floor", saying it was "obvious" there had been an explosion.

He said: "We are now aware that there are at least 10 casualties. Some are suffering with burns and lacerations. We don't have full details of the casualties, but we now know three people were inside the property at the time of the explosion.

"Some people were also injured while helping to rescue people. We had one person who brought a mattress for one of the casualties to get out.

"We have stabilising equipment on both sides of the building as there is a potential risk of collapse. We are aware of two collapses so far and therefore are trying to prevent another. Therefore, the cordon and road closures will remain in place for now.

"We don't yet know the cause of the explosion and our fire investigation team are at the scene working with the police."

He said it was "fantastic" that people had gone to help and revealed that a man, woman and their adult daughter lived at the property.

bricks lie on the ground (Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue/PA)
(Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue/PA)

Six fire engines were deployed to the scene and gas and electricity supplies were turned off at the house and four neighbouring properties.

Curzon Road, Whiteacre Road and Clinton Street were all closed and people were asked to avoid the area if possible.

A spokeswoman for North West Ambulance Service confirmed they were called at 5.07am and sent a "large resource team" to the scene.

She said: "There were six patients in total - five have minor injuries and one has major burns."

She confirmed that one patient was taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary, another to Wythenshawe Hospital and others to Tameside Hospital.