EDF's chief executive has said the company is "ready" to start building Hinkley Point C as soon as the Government gives the go-ahead.
Vincent de Rivaz said he understood the new government's hesitance in rubber-stamping the nuclear power plant in an open letter to staff reported by the BBC.
The French energy giant gave the final approval for the £18 billion project in Somerset on Thursday, but the Government then said it wanted more time to study the details.
Mr de Rivas said: "The new prime minister has been in post for just 16 days. Her full cabinet has been in post even fewer.
"We can understand their need to take a little time. We fully respect the Prime Minister's method."
The chief executive said his message was one of confidence and promised the project would deliver high-quality quality jobs across the country when it was finally built.
He said: "The very good news is that we are ready. The board's decision means that when the Government is ready to go ahead, we are ready too."
When Business and Energy Secretary Greg Clark said the Government would "consider carefully" all parts of the project before making a decision in the early autumn, the move stunned the industry.
It prompted warnings that jobs were at risk, though government sources insisted the delay had been agreed with the French.
Critics believe the Government has been stung by criticism of the amount of money EDF will be paid for generating power from Hinkley - £92.50 per megawatt hour of electricity generated.
It is thought there are also security concerns about the role of the Chinese state - which has a one third share in the project - investing in critical infrastructure in the UK.