Nice promenade reopens after terror attack, but France is still in mourning
The Promenade des Anglais - the scene of the latest terrorist massacre in Nice - has reopened less than two days after the attack.
Holidaymakers were free to walk along the waterside stretch again around 36 hours after Thursday's tragedy, which saw at least 84 people killed and more than 200 injured after a lorry was driven through throngs of revellers celebrating their national day.
But police officers continued to keep watch.
Flowers, cards and messages of solidarity marked the spots where bodies had been left strewn on the road in the aftermath of the massacre, as stories emerged of the people who lost friends and family members in the attack.
Many people, however, are still awaiting news of their loved ones either injured in hospital or still missing.
One man lost six members of his family, French media reported. An eyewitness said she saw people hanging on to the lorry in a desperate bid to stop the killing spree.
Tita Siren, from Finland, was on holiday in the city and witnessed events from a hotel terrace. She said: "I recognised that one or two men were trying to open the door of the driver. They were hanging on the door so trying to save other people's lives."
She added: "The whole width of the truck was full of people in front of it and it just drove over the people and they fell, like the driver was bowling."
As the names of victims emerged, questions were asked about the security measures that had been in place during the celebrations. Regional president Christian Estrosi said a request he had made before the parade for more police officers had been rejected.
He was reported to have said: "There were only 45 national police officers on July 14. It was not enough. I can't hide that I am angry."
But government officials were reported to have claimed that there were 64 national and 42 municipal officers on duty as well as 20 soldiers.
Detectives investigating the Bastille Day lorry attack have arrested two further people. Police said a man and a woman were detained in Nice on Sunday morning, bringing the total number in custody to seven.