A British national was among the many people injured in a terrorist attack in Nice on Thursday night, new Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has confirmed.
Speaking to the BBC as he left his home on his second day in the role, Johnson said: "The only information that I have is that there is one UK national who is injured."
Adding to the words of world leaders condemning the attack and highlighting the continuing threat of terrorism, he said: "It's an absolutely appalling incident and there will be ministerial meetings later on today to discuss the implications.
"Clearly this represents a continuing threat. If this is a terrorist incident, as this appears to be, this represents a continuing threat to us in the whole of Europe and we must meet it together.
Eyewitnesses reported that the attacker drove the truck through crowds who had been watching a fireworks display along the seafront Promenade des Anglais as part of the Bastille Day celebrations. At least 84 people, including several children, were killed and 18 others were taken to hospital in a critical condition.
Reports described the driver swerving from side to side to kill as many people as possible as he drove for hundreds of metres, before getting out of the lorry and firing shots into the crowd.
The attacker, a 31-year-old man of Franco-Tunisian origin who was reportedly known to the authorities for petty crime, was then shot dead by police.
Nice regional president Christian Estrosi said guns and grenades were found in the lorry, in what French President Francois Hollande described as clearly an attack of "terrorist character".
Hollande said the country's state of emergency would be extended for another three months and a military operation is in place allowing the mobilisation of 10,000 troops.
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls also declared three days of national mourning.