A shopping centre security alert which left residents trapped in a block of flats for several hours was caused by a discarded suitcase containing electrical items.
Nottingham's Intu Victoria Centre said occupants of flats above the complex had been advised to stay indoors and await further instruction from police following the alert at 11.30am on Sunday.
Thousands of shoppers were evacuated from the centre after the suitcase, which also contained clothing, was discovered in its upper mall.
A controlled explosion is thought to have been carried out by an Army bomb disposal team at about 3.20pm.
Superintendent Steve Cartwright, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: "We appreciate today's evacuation will have caused inconvenience to many on a busy bank holiday weekend and we would like to place on record our thanks to each and every person affected by today's events for their patience and understanding.
"While no explosives were discovered on this occasion, public safety remains our absolute priority and it is essential that these reports are taken seriously and properly investigated.
"While we always encourage the public to report any suspicions or concerns they have about unattended items they discover, we also feel it is important to remind everyone to keep their belongings with them at all times to help avoid any repeat of today's events."