A timeline of how events at Old Trafford unfolded

Manchester United's Premier League match against Bournemouth was called off on Sunday after a bomb scare at Old Trafford.

A device discovered shortly before kick-off led to an evacuation of the stadium, however it was later found not to be viable. Here we look at how the situation developed.

2.40pm - Security personnel are told to invoke 'operation red code' as players are ushered off the field during the warm-up, with fans in the Stretford End and Sir Alex Ferguson Stand evacuated.

Manchester United fans leaves the stand after a security announcement
(Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport)

3pm - At the scheduled kick-off time, supporters in the South and East Stands are told repeatedly to remain in their seats.

3.13pm - Fans are told the match has been abandoned due to a suspect package found in the North West Quadrant of Old Trafford, with remaining supporters told to leave the stadium.

3.21pm - Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police Ian Hopkins reveals Gold Commander ACC John O'Hare was working with Manchester United.

O'Hare later said police were "awaiting the imminent arrival of military colleagues to come and support us and establish what exactly we are dealing with.

"We are doing everything we can to investigate this item as quickly as possible, however our priority is obviously to ensure the safety of everyone in the stadium and surrounding area. As a result, today's game has been abandoned and a controlled evacuation of the stadium has now taken place.

Fans leave the stands after a security announcement during the Barclays Premier League match at Old Trafford
(Martin Rickett/PA)

"We don't make these decisions lightly and we have done this today to ensure the safety of all those attending. I am thankful for everyone's support and assistance and we will continue to provide updates on this matter as soon as they become available."

Manchester United fans evacuated from Old Trafford
(Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport)

A sniffer dog on the pitch after a security alert at the Barclays Premier League match at Old Trafford
(Martin Rickett/PA)

4.01pm - Premier League release statement and confirm it would look to rearrange the fixture "as soon as practically possible".

4.02pm - Greater Manchester Police confirm an Army disposal unit arrived at Old Trafford.

4.30pm - Greater Manchester Police announce bomb disposal experts are at Old Trafford and conducting an assessment of a suspicious item. Hundreds of stewards and staff wait outside the ground.

Security cordon around Old Trafford
(Mike Egerton/PA)

4.39pm - GMP confirm a controlled explosion had occurred.

5.15pm - As other Premier League matches end former United defender Gary Neville voices his concern.

5.30pm - Bournemouth's team coach leaves Old Trafford, as does Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal. Both sets of players were kept in the dressing room for approximately 40 minutes, before going to a suite and watching the Premier League matches under way on television.

AFC Bournemouth coach leaves Old Trafford
(Mike Egerton/PA)

Manchester United's David De Gea (left) and Ander Herrera (right) leave Old Trafford
(Mike Egerton/PA)

6pm - Perimeter security staff at Old Trafford are informed they can stand down.

Stewards outside Old Trafford
(Simon Peach/PA)

6.19pm - Greater Manchester Police post on Twitter that the devise was "not viable".

Read Full Story