Student who died after taking pink ecstasy pill 'had never been to a nightclub before'


A pink ecstasy pill taken by a 17-year-old student who fell ill and died could have contained double the dose of a normal tablet, police have said.

Faye Allen, 17, from Liverpool had attended the Don't Let Daddy Know (#DLDK) music event at the Victoria Warehouse in Trafford, Greater Manchester, when she suffered "an adverse reaction" during the early hours of Monday morning.

It was reportedly her first time clubbing having been dropped off in Manchester by a friend's father.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said they believed Faye and her group of friends had purchased and consumed the small figure of eight tablet with the words Master Card written on while in the Trafford Wharf Road venue.

It is understood Faye had been at the venue with her boyfriend whose father said she had taken the tablet for the first time. Two friends of Faye were also taken to hospital as a precaution having consumed the drug.

Detective Chief Inspector Ben Ewart of GMP said that the pink pill - which has white or red dots on had potentially contained double the dose of MDMA normally found in an ecstasy tablet. He confirmed that officers seized "a small quantity" of the tablets which are being tested.

He said: "It's a desperately tragic outcome to what was meant to be a good night out for a 17-year-old girl. We believe that she and her friends purchased and consumed ecstasy tablets once inside the venue and then during the course of the night and early hours Faye appears to have had an adverse reaction. What we believe is that the content of MDMA could be up to double the dose expected in ecstasy tablets."

Stock image of a Greater Manchester Police badge (Dave Thompson/PA)
Police are urging anyone who has taken the drug to urgently seek medical attention (Dave Thompson/PA)

He added that Faye having consumed the tablet had appeared "very unwell" and was treated outside the venue.

"She appeared very disorientated and unsteady on her feet. Once she left the venue on her own accord, security were concerned for her welfare. The on-site medical staff then called an ambulance.

"We believe that two of her friends also took the same tablets, they were also admitted to hospital as a precaution but have subsequently been discharged," Ewart continued.

Faye's boyfriend's father told the Manchester Evening News: "She had never been to a rave or nightclub before. This was the first time. They are a couple of young lovers who have gone to a club. Faye took a pill for the first time and disaster has struck."

The father, who was not named by the paper, added: "The whole family are absolutely devastated. We don't know how we are going to look after each other."

a form of ecstasy known as 'MasterCard' (Greater Manchester Police/PA)
The form of ecstasy Faye took is known as 'MasterCard' (Greater Manchester Police/PA)

During the early hours of yesterday morning a 19-year-old man and 20-year-old woman were arrested in the St Helens area on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug. Both of them remain in custody for questioning.

Ewart added: "It's possible that the group may have known each other but we are still in the stage of trying to understand. What we believe so far is that they have purchased the drugs inside the venue but we are still in the process of confirming that."

Faye's exact cause of death is still to be confirmed.

Ewart urged people to seek health advice if they had taken or are in possession of the tablet.

"The reality is you don't know what is in these pills. We believe that there would have been other people who have taken these tablets at this event and probably wider and may even be in possession and yet to take them. Our primary concern is public safety.

"We are still working with partner agencies to understand exactly the extent to which this item is in use. It's a small figure of eight tablet, pink in colour, often found with white or red dots with the words Master Card printed across the front."

A statement issued on behalf of Don't Let Daddy Know said: "It is with great sadness we write this and extend our sympathies to the family of Faye Allen, and will work with the relevant authorities to assist in any on-going investigations.

"Don't Let Daddy Know has hosted events all around the world and always produce shows of the highest standard, ensuring that robust door policies are adhered to. Don't Let Daddy Know were happy to return to Manchester after 2015´s successful show at the Victoria Warehouse because of the high standards, we felt, the venue set."

The Liverpool Echo reports that it is the third tragedy to hit the family. Her mother Maxine lost Faye's brother Jordon to cot death aged just 23 months in 2004. A month later Faye's sister Neve also passed away from cot death aged 18 weeks.