Tributes paid to Bristol knife death teenager 'loved by so many'


Tributes have been paid to a popular 16-year-old boy who was stabbed to death.

The teenager, named locally as Shamus Mcnama, died in Southmead Hospital in Bristol on Sunday morning.

Police were called to a house on Stothard Road in the Lockleaze area of the city at 5.50am following reports of a disturbance.

The teenager was taken to hospital with knife wounds but died of his injuries.

Police have arrested two 19-year-old men in connection with the incident and they remain in custody.

Formal identification has not yet taken place but neighbours and friends said the victim was Shamus.

Tributes laid at the scene paid tribute to the teenager, who is believed to have attended Orchard School and Filton High School before starting an apprenticeship.

A teenage girl, who did not wish to be named, wept by tributes left at a police cordon at the scene.

"I can't believe it - it is unreal," she said.

"He just had the biggest smile and he was so, so loved by so many people.

"You won't find anyone with a bad word to say about him.

"He had so many friends. If you look on his Facebook it is full of people's comments, there are at least 100 on there - paragraphs and paragraphs.

"They're all saying RIP and how much he will be missed."

A school friend, who did not wish to be named, added: "It's such a terrible thing to happen to anyone but to happen to someone like Shamus, who was such a nice guy - it's unbelievable.

"I feel so sorry for his mum, she would never have thought that something like this would happen.

"He was just such a great guy. His funeral is going to be tragic but it will be packed."

The girl said Shamus was stabbed in the neck, although police were unable to confirm that detail.

A 24-year-old man, who also did not wish to be named, brushed tears away as he read tributes left to the teenager.

"He was such a nice person," he said. "He would have done anything for anybody. He had lots of friends. He was a very likeable person."

Mark Palmer, 51, was visiting a friend in the area when he learned of the death.

"I'm driving up through here every day of the week," Mr Palmer said.

"Something like this is completely out of the ordinary. I have never known this sort of thing to happen up round here.

"I feel for the young lad, the victim, it is a waste of a young life."

Senior investigating officer Richard Pegler said: "This investigation is at a very early stage and we are doing everything possible to determine how the young man died.

"We have specially trained family liaison officers who are supporting the young man's family during this difficult time.

"A post-mortem examination will be carried out by a Home Office pathologist in due course.

"We have arrested two 19-year-old men in connection with this incident and they are currently in police custody.

"Local residents are advised the road will be closed for the foreseeable future as we carry out our inquiries.

"While there continues to be increased police activity in the area, we'd like to reassure residents that there's no risk to the wider community."