Daughter pays tribute to company boss shot dead in Birmingham warehouse raid

The daughter of a businessman who was shot by armed raiders has described his murder as "horrific" - and urged anyone shielding his killers to give her father justice.

Lilas Javeed described Akhtar Javeed - who was blasted in the neck at his Birmingham soft drinks firm - as a "humble and simple" father and grandfather who worked tirelessly to provide for his family.

Supported by her husband at a news conference, Ms Javeed said she and her three brothers had been left "shattered" by the killing.

As police revealed that Mr Javeed, 56, was shot after resisting two masked men, his daughter, from London, told reporters: "Everything has changed since the day he was taken from us.

"A devoted husband and caring father who selflessly did everything he could to look after the ones he loved is now gone, after having to suffer such a horrific attack.

"It breaks our hearts knowing that his last moments were not spent with us as they should have been."

Ms Javeed, 30, added: "Nothing will fill the hole left in our hearts. That warm, happy, and comfortable feeling we would get whenever our dad was with us will never return."

Company director Mr Javeed was killed on Wednesday last week after two offenders tied up staff as they attempted to rob his warehouse in Rea Street South, Digbeth, at about 6.30pm.

The victim, who lived in east London, was found injured in the street near his firm's car park but died in hospital.

Inquiries into the offence have established that Mr Javeed was shot as he tried to fight off the robbers, having refused demands for cash.

Five members of staff are understood to have had their wrists bound with cable ties, including Mr Javeed before he was shot.

Bullets found at the scene showed a weapon used during the raid was not linked to any previous offences.

Re-appealing for witnesses alongside the victim's daughter, Detective Superintendent Mark Payne described the offence as a "robbery that went wrong" and confirmed that the offenders arrived and left in a silver Renault Megane.

Mr Payne added: "We know two masked men entered the unit at around 6.30pm and were inside for several minutes. We believe the business was deliberately targeted but we don't yet understand why."

Officers are attempting to trace a taxi seen driving behind the Megane and a potential witness seen walking with a bike along nearby Leopold Street at around 6.20pm.

Asked what her message would be for anyone who has information about the offenders, Ms Javeed answered: "Please, please come forward. It would mean so much to us. "You can't bring our dad back but you can give him justice and protect other people from having their lives destroyed."