Woman dead and five injured after car hits Costa coffee shop


A woman in her 70s has died and five other people are injured, four seriously, after a car ploughed into a Costa coffee shop.

The incident happened in Westerham, near Sevenoaks in Kent, shortly before 10.30am, Kent Police said.

Pictures on social media showed an Audi embedded in the front of the cafe and a host of ambulances and fire engines at the scene in The Green.

Sally Pendleton said she walked past the scene minutes after the crash on her way to church with her grandmother and uncle.

She told BBC News: "There were about 12 people who were outside, some injured, some were in shock and the man was still in the car."

She added: "He seemed OK so at this point we didn't really realise that anyone had been badly injured, even though it was a crazy thing to have happened because, of course, as you can see from the photos, there is actually a wall that goes along the bottom so it must have been going at some speed to crash straight through the window and quite a way into the shop."

A spokeswoman for South East Coast Ambulance Service said: "Our clinicians treated six patients in total, including one patient who was sadly pronounced as deceased at the scene. Five further patients were treated at the scene and then taken to hospital. 

"Two patients, an adult male and female, were taken by ambulance to St George's Hospital in London, both with serious injuries. 

"Two further patients, an adult male and female, were taken by ambulance to the Princess Royal Hospital in Farnborough - again both with serious injuries.

"An adult female with minor injuries was also taken by ambulance to Pembury Hospital."

Peter Thornley posted pictures showing five ambulances at the scene, saying: "Someone has just driven a car straight into Costa coffee in Westerham. Madness.

"Centre of Westerham now all closed off."

Kent Police tweeted: "A witness centre has been set up at The Grasshopper pub in The Green for anyone with info about this morning's collision in #westerham."

Kent Fire and Rescue said it had released two people from the car and initially had five crews at the scene.