Met chief waiting for details on IPCC probe into police shooting death


The head of Scotland Yard said he is waiting to hear what led the police watchdog to launch a criminal homicide investigation into the fatal shooting of a man by an armed officer.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said it was an "unusual turn of events" and that he hoped more details would emerge at a community meeting later.

A firearms officer was suspended after 28-year-old Jermaine Baker, from Tottenham, was shot dead during an alleged attempt to spring two convicts from a prison van in Wood Green, north London.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has opened a criminal investigation which could see the officer face murder or manslaughter charges.

Sir Bernard said the watchdog was due to attend the meeting called by the local community to address concerns about the renewed strain the shooting has placed on relations with police.

Chief Superintendent Victor Olisa, the borough commander for Haringey, will represent the Met.

"Victor is really well respected and he will tell them what we know," Sir Bernard told BBC Radio 4's Today.

"I believe the IPCC may also be attending because of course we are not in the position to tell the public what it is their investigation is finding.

"There will be limits on what the IPCC can tell but at least they will be able to share what they know and we will explain what we can."

He told the programme: "I don't have access to the IPCC's investigation.

"They are an independent investigator and of course they have had the chance to talk to witnesses and make some assessment of the scene.

"So we are waiting to hear some of the reasoning. But it is an unusual turn of events."

He said it was "frustrating" that no way had yet been found for officers on covert operations to wear cameras to record operations in a way that did not blow their cover or interfere with firearms.

"I'm sure that would have been really helpful in this case to show what exactly what happened, so that is frustrating," he said, but he pointed out that 1,500 uniformed officers had already worn them this year.