Magaluf fall teenager's mother urges police help as inquest adjourned


The mother of a teenager who died after falling from the ninth floor of a Spanish hotel said she is relying on British police to investigate after a coroner said he did not have enough evidence to hold an inquest which would answer the family's concerns.

Film student Thomas Ousby, 19, died in Magaluf, Majorca, on August 1 2013. His family think he may have been pushed to his death as he was seen being chased by two men.

Senior West London coroner Chinyere Inyama adjourned an inquest with no new date, pending any inquiries the family can arrange.

He described the report he had received from Spanish authorities as "thorough" but said he would have to record an open verdict if he heard the inquest now.

"I can't say if it's accident or unlawful killing on the evidence that I have," he said.

He said the Spanish authorities had investigated and the family - who have been using a private investigator - would have to mount further investigations into the death of Mr Ousby, from Uxbridge, west London.

The coroner said: "I won't put a time limit on it, you can tell me when you are ready."

Earlier he had apologised for delays in the case, and told the family: "You've waited this long, I'm prepared to wait for you."

Mr Ousby's mother Lea, a 47-year-old estate agent, said after the short hearing: "It's the best result we could have had, it's been adjourned, so we can carry on with the police, the British police, and hopefully it can happen."

Asked if she was relying on them, she said: "We are relying on them absolutely."

And asked about the Spanish investigation, she said: "It was easier for them to put it down as an accident."

She said she had had dealings with the Metropolitan Police over it, and was confident they would help.

Mrs Ousby and her design engineer husband John, 51, have heard reports that Tom was being chased by two hotel staff shortly before he met his death at 7am.

"He may have been pushed from a window - it's been said that there were three table legs around his body on the ground but the police came along and just kicked them away."

She said a 26-year-old woman living in the Bolton area had arranged to meet Tom at the hotel before he died, after they failed to meet on the strip at midnight, but she was refusing to co-operate with investigators.