Glasgow bin lorry crash victim's family seeks private prosecution against driver
The family of a woman killed in the Glasgow bin lorry crash have told a fatal accident inquiry they intend to seek a private prosecution against driver Harry Clarke.
The lawyer acting for the family of Jacqueline Morton, 51, asked the inquiry into the December 22 tragedy to be adjourned as they sought authority to launch a court action against Harry Clarke, 58, after the Crown Office ruled out any prosecution.
Six people died when the council refuse truck he was driving veered out of control.
An inquiry at Glasgow Sheriff Court, now in its fifth week, has heard that Mr Clarke had a history of dizzy spells and fainting which he failed to disclose to the DVLA and on job application forms.
The Crown Office ordered an investigation into the circumstances of the crash after ruling that there was no evidence to warrant criminal proceedings.
Dorothy Bain QC, acting for the family of Ms Morton, from Glasgow, told the sheriff she had been instructed to seek an adjournment of the inquiry in order to seek authority to bring a private prosecution.
The issue of funding still has to be established, she said.