Murder probe after double shooting

Wood Green shooting
Police are today continuing a murder investigation after a man was killed and a woman critically injured in a suspected high street double shooting.

The male victim was last night identified locally as Erdogan Guzel, 42, a father of two, while an unnamed woman was also caught up in the incident, on Lordship Lane in Wood Green, north London.

Police set up street cordons, while grieving friends and neighbours wept a few metres from where Mr Guzel was fatally wounded.

The incident happened at around 5.45pm yesterday, just outside the Bros Bakery where Mr Guzel would often sit, eyewitnesses said.

Imam Sumbul, who is a friend of the man's cousin, said: "He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The bullet was not meant for him.

"There is a big Turkish community here, everyone uses each other's shops. As you can see, a lot of people here are interested in what happened and want to know what went on here tonight."

He said a similar incident happened at the end of June in which a gunman tried to open fire but failed to discharge his weapon before fleeing.

A friend of Mr Guzel, who asked not to be named, said: "He was always on this street, he lived nearby.

"He was a good guy."

He said Mr Guzel has two children, a son and a daughter aged between 15 and 16, who are currently on holiday in Turkey.

Rush-hour chaos for commuters

One eyewitness, who was in a fish and chip shop near the scene, said he saw the aftermath of the incident. He said: "I saw the woman and turned away. Then I heard the bang.

"She fell down on the floor. There was a child on a bike and he was lying on the floor as well."

A local business owner who witnessed the incident told ITV News he believed the victims were shot from inside a car.

Haydar Alma, 42, who owns a nearby Polish shop, said: "I was in the shop working and I heard the gun, like an automatic. I looked outside and I saw the car and the window open and somebody shooting.

"After they had gone I went outside and I saw the woman. Somebody called an ambulance."

Mr Alma said passers-by rushed to help the victims, and he was asked to get tissues to try and stop the bleeding whilst they waited for emergency services to arrive.

He said: "The ambulance took the woman and did something for the man here. I asked the policeman what had happened and he said he had died."

Police said the man died at the scene at around 7pm. The woman has been taken to an east London hospital, where she is in a critical but stable condition.

Row Over Electric Plane English Channel Flight

Read Full Story