The unnamed woman was sold the red, uncooked piece of southern fried chicken by Kingsbury Fish Bar, in Erdington, Birmingham last February.
See also: Galaxy chocolate bar 'covered in mould'
See also: Woman finds something disgusting in McDonald's burger
She took it back to the shop but also informed Birmingham City Council's environmental health department.
When environmental health officers visited the shop they found parts of the premises to be 'dirty' and 'greasy', Birmingham Magistrates' Court heard.
The customer was disgusted
The owner of the fish bar, Palvinder Singh Dhillon, appeared before the city's magistrates' court on Thursday and admitted selling a piece of unsafe food and also breaching food hygiene regulations, reported the Birmingham Mail.
Dhillon, 53, of Warren Road, Kingstanding, was fined £291 with costs totalling £1,534.
Syma Akhtar, prosecuting, said a woman went into the fish bar in Kingsbury Road and bought a portion of southern fried chicken.
But when she got home and started eating it, she cut into it and discovered it was "still raw and red" inside.
Luckily she did not eat the chicken but returned it straight away to the chippie and also informed the city council.
The following day environmental health officers visited the shop to carry out an inspection and found numerous breaches of food hygiene regulations.
Ms Akhtar said these included food not being stored at the correct temperature, no measures in place to ensure food was being cooked at the right temperature, chicken and sausages left uncovered in the fridge and parts of the premises being dirty and greasy.
Kingsbury Fish Bar in Erdington, Birmingham
When he was interviewed about the offences, Dhillon said he had not been attending the shop as much as he usually did because his elderly mother had been very ill.
Raj Deu, defending, said her client had immediately dismissed the manager who was in charge at the time and had also spent around £20,000 on improvements to the fish bar to bring it up to standard.
Mrs Deu also said he had also attended a food hygiene course to update his knowledge and the fish bar now had a hygiene rating of 4, the second highest.
"Although the top rating is 5, that is extremely hard to achieve so to get a rating of 4 is very good indeed," she said.
Magistrates said they had reduced Dhillon's fine to £291 because he had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity and they were impressed and encouraged by the measures he had taken to remedy the problems.