Galaxy chocolate bar 'covered in mould'

Sainsbury's apologises

Updated: 


A Sainsbury's shopper was horrified to bite into a bar of her favourite chocolate and discover it was covered in mould.

Twenty-five-year-old Chelsea Barker, from Hoddesdon in Essex, opened the Galaxy Duet bar in a dark room, and bit into it without looking.

"I ate a chunk of the bar and felt a bit of fur on my tongue," she tells the Sun.

"As soon as I felt it, I spat it out and was actually sick after. I think my body's reaction was just to get it out as quickly as possible."

The bar was well within its sell-by date, making the mould particularly mysterious.

Wait! Don't chuck it out! Best Before doesn't mean what you think

Domino's driver drops off doughnuts covered in mould


Sainsbury's has apologised, refunded Chelsea's money and given her some free chocolate bars.

It suggests that there may have been a small hole in the packaging that allowed the mould spores to get in.

However, the mould wasn't a one-off. Undeterred by her experience, the young mum opened a second Galaxy Duet bar yesterday morning, only to find that this one too was covered in mould.

"Sainsbury's you need to sort it out. This is the second time I've bought a bar of Galaxy and it's been mouldy... I'm definitely complaining this time," she writes on Facebook.

"Everyone be careful it's still got two months of sell-by date!! Not good Sainsbury's, not good."




Chocolate often develops a white film as liquid fat such as cocoa butter seeps through the chocolate and crystallises on the surface - and this is completely harmless. It's much rarer for true mould to develop.

Eating mould is unlikely to cause serious illness - although it's possible, particularly in the elderly or very young.

And it's certainly extremely unpleasant. Two years ago, Domino's pizza was forced to apologise after delivering a batch of doughnuts that were covered in thick black mould and that smelled so bad the customers were nearly sick.

Tesco's hilarious response to customer garlic complaint

But some people are able to take a bit of mould more lightly. Three years ago, Tesco received a complaint about a mouldy head of garlic - but the customer wasn't concerned about the health risk. Instead, he asked, "How am I supposed to fight off vampires now?"

Tesco customer service rose to the challenge, giving him a voucher for more garlic to 'fight off the undead hordes' and apologised for not stocking silver bullets in order to help fight werewolves.


Gross discoveries in food

Gross discoveries in food