Tortoise blamed for house fire that caused £124k damage

Bits knocked down a heat lamp in his wooden shelter


A pet tortoise is suspected of setting a house on fire, resulting in damages estimated at $150,000 (£124,300).

Fox 29 San Antonio reports Bits, a 15 year old tortoise, knocked down a heat lamp his owner had set up in an effort to keep him warm in his shelter, made of wood.

See also: Tumble dryers cause almost one fire a day

See also: Hoverboard explodes and starts devastating fire in family home


That allegedly started a fire that spread and burned down part of a neighbor's home in the middle of the night.

The family was able to evacuate and leave with no injuries, but Bits suffered minor burns to his shell.

Firefighters have placed the cost of the damage to the home at around $150,000.

According to Fox 29, the tortoise's owner called the fire an unfortunate accident and contacted his insurance company to handle the situation.