Britain's biggest blind wine tasting contest named Marks & Spencer cream of the crop when it comes to a festive tipple.
The supermarket won 60 medals, including six golds, at the influential International Wine Challenge last month, beating Morrisons into second place with 45 medals.
See also: How to stop money worries ruining Christmas
See also: Can your employer force you to work over Christmas?
But judges said the 245 gold, silver and bronzes they awarded showed the strength of in depth of the own brand plonk on offer to the national.
IWC co-chairman Charles Metcalfe, who founded the contest 34 years ago, said: "Whether looking for festive gifts, or party tipples, British supermarket shoppers are spoiled for choice.
"Tranche One of the 2017 IWC has rewarded some sensational own-brand and exclusive wines that deliver on flavour, quality and value every time.
"Our careful selection of medals allows people to buy with confidence: knowing these medal winners have been awarded by some of the world's top wine judges."
Judges come from as far afield as Japan and Australia to take part in the tasting. And each wine is tasted blind by at least 10 of those on three separate occasions, with the final say-so going to TV tasters like Oz Clarke.
Aldi picked up an impressive 28 medals, including a gold for its Maynard's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2012, "for a jaw-dropping £8.95".
A spokesman said: "With such inviting price tags, these winners will soon be flying off the shelves.
"Savvy shoppers should stock up on the gold medal-winning Waitrose Blanc de Noirs Brut (at £21.99) and Waitrose Brut Special Réserve Vintage 2005 (at £24.99) for their festive celebrations."
Full list of the gold medal winners
- Tesco finest* Vintage Port 1997 - £18
- Berton Vineyards Botrytis Semillon 2015 (Exclusive to Aldi) - £5.99
- Maynard's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2012 (Exclusive to Aldi) - £8.95
- Marks & Spencer 5 Year Old Finest Medium Rich Madeira - £14.00
- Marks & Spencer Martinez Marsala Superiore Riserva Dolce 5 Year Old £6.00
- Marks & Spencer 10 Year Old Tawny Port £17.00
- Marks & Spencer Stepp Riesling *S* Kallstadter Saumagen 2015 £15.00
- Marks & Spencer Very Rare Dry Old Amontillado £8.00
- Pikes Clare Valley Riesling 2016 (Marks & Spencer) £13.00
- Morrisons The Best Chablis 1er Cru 2014 - £15
- Morrisons The Best 10 Year Old Tawny Port - £16
- Morrisons The Best Oloroso - £6
- Morrisons The Best Palo Cortado - £6
- Tesco Finest Viña del Cura Rioja Reserva 2012 £8.00
- Waitrose Brut Special Réserve Vintage 2005 - £24.99
- Waitrose Fino £6.99
- Waitrose Manzanilla - £8.00
- Waitrose Blanc de Noirs Brut - £21.99